CodySchrierDESMA9 - Event 3 Blog

Event 3 Blog - 24 Hour Unplug Challenge


Initially, I felt a sense of unease as I turned off my phone, computer, and TV. The silence that followed was both foreign and slightly unsettling. I noticed a habitual urge to reach for my phone every few minutes, a clear indication of my dependency on constant connectivity. This awareness made me realize how ingrained technology had become in my daily routine.

As the hours passed, the initial discomfort gave way to a profound sense of calm. Without the constant barrage of notifications, emails, and social media updates, my mind felt less cluttered. I found myself more present in the moment, fully engaging in activities such as reading, walking, and even cooking. These simple tasks, often overshadowed by digital distractions, became sources of genuine enjoyment.

Throughout the day, I recorded my feelings and observations. I noted a heightened sense of creativity and clarity. Ideas flowed more freely, and I jotted down thoughts and reflections that might have been lost in the digital noise. This analog approach to note-taking felt refreshingly tactile and personal, a stark contrast to typing on a screen.

However, the experience was not without challenges. By evening, I began to feel isolated. Not being able to communicate with friends and family created a sense of loneliness. I also worried about missing important messages or updates. Despite notifying my close contacts about my digital detox, the fear of being disconnected persisted.

Ultimately, the 24-hour period off devices was a revealing experiment. It highlighted the extent of my reliance on technology but also underscored the benefits of taking a break. This experience taught me the value of occasional disconnection to recharge and reconnect with the world in a more meaningful way. It’s an exercise I would recommend to anyone seeking a deeper understanding of their relationship with technology.

 

Comments

Popular Posts