CodySchrierDESMA9 - Event 2 Blog

Event 2 Blog - LightFest

I went to the event on Wednesday, May 15th, in the UCLA Art Science Center from 5- 5:30. It was quite an experience with a laser sound light show. We were all given a pair of glasses that almost reminded me of a 3D movie and they were used to which make the experience better. The focal point was the screen in front of the room with all sorts of colors and visuals, followed by sounds that I was very unfamiliar with. There was also a bowl in front of it with a laser, and when you put the glasses on, it created a 3D experience. The longer I watched, the more into it I felt with the light show. The images that popped up on the screen were images from a microscope of tons of things. It was super cool to see all these images, and the lasers added to the picture somewhat matched the colors on the screen. The sounds that played were very relaxing, and this was definitely on purpose to calm the viewers and make them more connected to the room and lights around them. This event helped me understand more about this class for a few reasons. It was a great display of how science and art can work together. They could have just shown the microscope images on a boring projector. Instead, they were able to implement sound and lasers to give us, the viewers,
a more entertaining experience. 

Being someone who rarely looks at microscope images, I looked at the same ten or so images for much longer than I would have without the whole experience. Having a presentation like this provides a space for art and science lovers to come together and talk about the presentation. It gave a more comprehensive range of audiences and a more entertaining presentation as you did not feel like you were in a science building but almost another reality. I would recommend this event to others if they like intense visuals as well as using their imagination. I continuously caught myself trying to figure out what each image on the screen was with the people around me.








Comments

Popular Posts