CodySchrierDESMA9 - Week 1 Blog

 Week 1 Blog

The perspective that I gained from the writers was that sciences and arts are continuously evolving and growing into its own form, even when we think they are not. In the world we live in today, cultures are becoming broader and broader with other ideas slowly dying off. I saw this in Victoria Vesna's article, Leonardo, how it was explained "every end constitutes a new beginning" (Vesna 123). New ideas that are always happening fill the two cultures of “literary intellectuals and natural scientists,” (Vesna 120) have certain stereotypes and personalities based on what is happening at the present time. 

C.P. Snow explains how the difference between two cultures is "rooted in social histories, some in personal histories, and some in the inner dynamic of the different kinds of mental activity themselves," (Snow 23) in The Two Cultures and The Scientific Revolution. This is relevant to the local environment that I am currently in. The way UCLA’s campus is designed and laid out, these two cultures are separated.  Sir Ken Robinson discusses how "education is modeled on the interests of industrialization," (6:42) in the lecture video Changing Education Paradigms. I usually find myself on the west side of campus because most Sociology classes are over there where there are statues and sculptures. These pieces found on the west side are different from the east side of campus because they are just older and do not have the newer look. The east side of campus holds many newer looking buildings with a richer look to them. In A Dangerous Divide: The Two Cultures in the 21st Century, Christopher M. Williams explains that, despite their differences, science and technology "are critical tools for responding to many of society's most troubling problems" and need to be studied and learned. 



Resources:

Bunche Hall. https://static.kcet.kcet.production.k2.m1.brightspot.cloud/dims4/default/430088d/2147483647/strip/true/crop/2417x1813+0+0/resize/848x636!/quality/90/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fkcet-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fd4%2F28%2F8c2d0b8b43da9cd52b6e7ad1e20d%2F20220306-125627.jpg.  

Pawlik, Matt. “UCLA Sculpture Garden.” Art of the Matte, WeekendSherpa, 16 June 2021, https://www.weekendsherpa.com/stories/do-a-ucla-college-campus-walk-among-art-architecture-and-botanical-gardens/. 

Robinson, Ken, Sir. Changing Education Paradigms.Youtube, RSA Animate, 14 October 2010, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U&t=402s. Accessed 4 Apr. 2024 

Snow, C. P. The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution. At the Univ. Press, 1961. 

University of California Los Angeles - Health Sciences Building. https://www.clarkconstruction.com/sites/default/files/styles/project_photos/public/project_photos/University%20of%20California%20Los%20Angeles%20-%20Health%20Sciences_Carousel.jpg?itok=Y-hInVQq. 

Vesna, Victoria. “Toward a Third Culture: Being in Between.” Leonardo, vol. 34, no. 2, 2001, pp. 121–125., https://doi.org/10.1162/002409401750184672. 

Vesna, Victoria. Two Cultures Intro.Youtube, UC Online, 26 Mar. 2012,         https://youtu.be/MpAo6_f0jeU. Accessed 4 Apr. 2024. 

Williams, Christopher M. “A Dangerous Divide: The New York Academy of Sciences.” Nyas, 24 July 2009, https://www.nyas.org/ebriefings/a-dangerous-divide/. 






Comments

  1. Hey Cody, I found your response to this week's assignment very interesting. More specifically I enjoyed your take on how culture is becoming more broader and broader. I also think that the distinction in our lives as students, especially in relation to the culture between arts and science is extremely notable. From my experience, I have always felt a little jealous of the South Campus buildings and overall area, not to say that the North does not have nice buildings or spots. However, I did feel like I was in a completely different world when I went to the South part of campus as it appeared to be more lively. I did also enjoy your pictures, they are places I often walk through or study at, and I had not thought about our different cultures before and how divided we really are, even though we are in the same school. I think you use Snow and Vesna's texts so perfectly in your own personal experiences, because even though there are differences or distance between both cultures, it's not like they can not get along. As we have read, there can be a intertwined relationship between the two that helps bring these cultures together. Great job on your first post Cody, I am excited to read more of what you have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Cody,
    I found your response to this week's assignment very interesting. extra in particular I enjoyed your take on how lifestyle is turning into extra broader and broader. I additionally suppose that the difference in our lives as college students, especially about the culture among arts and technology is extremely first-rate. From my revel in, I've usually felt a little jealous of the South Campus buildings and average location, not to say that the North does not have the best homes or spots. but, I did experience it like I was in a totally special world once I went to the South a part of campus as it seemed to be more active. I did additionally revel in your images, they may be locations I regularly stroll via or take a look at, and I had no longer idea about our exceptional cultures earlier than and the way divided we genuinely are, even though we are in the same college. I think you use Snow and Vesna's texts so flawlessly in your very own personal studies, due to the fact despite the fact that there are differences or distance between both cultures, it's no longer like they cannot get alongside. As we've studied, there may be an intertwined courting among the two that helps bring those cultures together. great task on your first post Cody, I'm excited to study more of what you've got to say!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts